Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Holidays and Toddlers

I am going to start this blog by saying that I have been raised Christian and would still say that I am one. My husband is an atheist. He and I agree that we can raise our children to know Christianity and if they choose as young adults or adults to follow a different path, fine.
I was also raised to believe in Santa and there was no problems between believing in Jesus and Santa, the Easter Bunny etc etc. I plan on doing the same with my children.

My husband and I have considered changing daycares for my son. We love the center he is in but we want to move him closer to home instead of my office. So we went to this one center and everything seemed nice and great. I went to work afterward and began to read the "handbook" to just make sure there wasn't anything weird. I found a section that read that they would teach the children about Christian beliefs (which I was unaware of, never mentioned in the tour) and then it brought up holidays. It specifically states that they will not speak of Santa, Elves, Reindeer, stockings, Easter Bunny and Halloween.

Ok this is where I have a problem. This is a center for kids 2 and up. Kids that ask about Santa etc. I am bothered that they refuse to speak of these things to little kids. What is the problem with imagination for a 2 or 3 year old. You can teach kids about the birth of Jesus and also Santa without saying life is about one or the other.

Needless to say, he will not be going to that center. We spend too much of our time in our current culture taking kids away from imagining things, play time, and fun times. Its all about making them "learn" and focusing on sports and activities. Can't a kid just be a kid again?

No comments:

Post a Comment